Monday, April 16, 2012

"No poo?" or "Poopoo?"

So I guess when I started this venture into saving money and being more natural, I became a little overzealous and now my hair is paying for it.  I absolutely love our homemade laundry soap, our garden seedlings seem to be doing well (we will have an abundance of brussels sprouts, cabbage, and broccoli, but eh..), vinegar cleans everything, and our efforts to save money by eating out less are paying off.  That said, I started out by doing this "no poo" thing, because I am aiming for more natural living and because I wanted to save money (I go through shampoo like you wouldn't believe).  When I first started out, it was great and my hair was smooth, scalp was clean, and yada yada.  When I read up on it some more (I was starting to have a problem with the "white stuff" on my scalp...oh yeah, the dreaded "D" word.) I noticed I had been going about this whole process the wrong way.  Apparently,  you do not wash your hair with baking soda every shower.  Oh no, you give it one good wash and then you rinse your hair with water at every shower until your scalp balances out.  The whole idea with using b/s and ACV is to give your scalp a chance to regulate the oils secreted; traditional shampoos and conditioners contain numerous hard-to-pronounce stuff that strips your hair of its natural oils...thus causing your scalp to overproduce these oils and you wash your hair to try and remove them and then cover them in the conditioner in an attempt to put that back, thus the cycle repeats itself.  Every person that has gone "no poo" has said there is a transition period when your hair will continue to overproduce oils and your hair will look like you just dumped an entire bottle of baby oil in it (oh, that's just me?).  Some people said it took a couple weeks, some a few months.  MONTHS?!  I have exhausted every hairstyle possible to try and make myself look presentable without coming across as some crazy I-am not-washing-my-hair-because-I-am-sticking-it-to-the-man type woman.  Friends, my hair better hurry this transition period up or I will have no choice but to buy some expensive sulfate free hair cleansers. Any thoughts or suggestions? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is AVC? Never heard of washing hair with bc. What kind of kick is this?